Saturday, August 31, 2013

By Its Cover: Super Boys

Review: 'Super Boys: the Amazing Story of Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster' Returns to Comics' Original Sin Cover Image

You can't see it very well in the image, but the cover has that dotted fill you get in old comic books before they changed the printing method (yes, you still get it sometimes depending on who's printing your comics). Obviously, the cover (the framing, the sketchy - not "creepy" sketchy, but literally "looks like it was sketched" - Superman at the top, the dotted fill, the predecessor-to-Comic-Sans font on the subtitle) is meant to look like an old comic book.

The only thing I would change if I were any part of designing this cover is that I would give "Super Boys" a starburst like it's an onomatopoeia (you know, like "BLAST!" or "BANG!" or "ZOOM!") Though, come to think of it, that might be a little more Silver or Bronze Age than Golden.

I think the cover was well done.  I like the comic book feel that it had, that it was Superman without being all about Superman.  I think it's a fun, and bright, cover.  The cover is what originally led me to decide read it.

I think the thing I like most, however, is the city.  It could be Cleveland.  It could be Metropolis.  It manages to be every city, and no city, that is important in Siegel & Shuster's lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment