Monday, November 5, 2012

Lambda Literary Award

This week's book-to-review is Rainbow Boys by Alex Sánchez. He is also the author of So Hard to Say, which won a Lambda Literary Award in 2004 in the children's/young adult category.


The Lambda Literary Award (also known as the "Lammys") was instituted in 1988. It exists to celebrate LGBT literature. (If you're unfamiliar with the acronym, it stands for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender/Transexual.)

For the 2011 awards, there were 24 categories. A list of winners since the award's inception can be found here. The Pioneer Award (winners listed below Lambda winners at that link) celebrates individuals who have broken new ground in LGBT literature and contribute to the LGBT community in significant ways. The Pioneer Award was started in 1995.

Also, on the Lambda Literary website, you can: donate to their scholarship fund; volunteer; join a book club; or learn a lot more.

(Disclaimer: We aren't associated with the Lambda Literary Award in any way; we're just here to inform.)


2 comments:

  1. Just FYI, there has been an expansion to the acronym. The new up and coming term for this community is actually LGBTQI. (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning, and Intersex)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for bringing that up! I had originally included a paragraph about that. I'm used to saying LGBTQAI (the A is for asexual). I remember that I took it out because I wasn't being succinct every time I tried to explain it, but I never did go back and include the info. So I'm really glad you mentioned it!

    ReplyDelete