Thursday, November 8, 2012

NaNoWriMo- Week One

WEEK ONE

We're in week one of NaNoWriMo and it's still early, so I'm giving you some beginning of the month tips.  All this month I'm going to be doing things to help you get through the month and keep your spirits up.  My goal is to help you write all 50,000 words.  If you need someone to talk to, some advice, really anything, feel free to leave comments right here on the blog.

I'm going to tell you this in the beginning of the month because I think that it's very important.  Find a partner or a friend or join a community that will give you ideas.  Don't try and write 50,000 words all by yourself.  I didn't my first year.  I had a friend that I would talk to about my book.

If you go to NaNoWriMo's website (www.nanowrimo.org) they have forums that you can go to when you have a hiccup in your writing.  Character giving you trouble?  They have a forum for that.  Need some factual information?  They have forums for that too.  Just want to goof off and procrastinate a little?  That's right, they have forums for that too.

They also have regional forums.  There are NaNo writers in your area, people living by you who sit down in local coffee shops or libraries and write.  They call them write ins, and a few writers from your area come in and just sit down and write.  It gives you a chance to get to know people in your area and bounce some ideas off of them in person, as you hit those roadblocks.

They also hold kick off parties in your area.  When NaNo starts, there is usually someone in the area who handles things like holding a party to start the whole shebang, and lots of NaNoers show up.  It can be really fun and just another way to meet up with people in your area.

If nothing else, just keep in contact with people.  You're eventually going to hit a road block.  You're going to get into your own head and you're going to need someone to work it out.  So find someone to clean out those cobwebs.  Having some trouble finding a friend?  Well, dear reader, I'm always here and my comment section is always open. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment