Friday, July 19, 2013

Review Me Twice: Rechenka's Eggs by Patricia Polacco


This week's review book is a picture book called Rechenka's Eggs by Patricia Polacco.

I always loved picture books that wove another culture into the story. This is the kind of book elementary teachers love, because they can build an entire learning unit about traditional Russian culture around this book. There are a few Russian words scattered throughout the book (italicized, so you can more easily notice them), and it discusses foods, a festival, the egg-painting, and other Russian customs.

Beyond that, it's a nice story. Warm fuzzies all around. I never read it as a kid, but I enjoyed it as an adult.

I really love Polocco's art.  I love that the faces are sketched, while the rest of it takes on a more colored/patterned crayon feel.  And she's amazing at depicting culture with her art (you see the big, domed palaces in this book and the traditional Russian egg coloring.)

See how she mixes B&W sketches with all that color?
And I'm with Alex on how culture books help kids AND teachers.  There could be a whole unit for Russia, with Polocco's books at the center of it.

I did read these books as kids, and then Polocco came to my school!  I remember she told us this story about a meteorite that landed near her house, and her father would only let people touch it once and make a wish.  She actually brought a piece of it with her, and let every kid touch it on their way out the door.

I think she writes great books for kids, beautiful picture books and I definitely recommend them.

My Bottom Line 5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment