Friday, April 11, 2014

Review Me Twice - Unremembered by Jessica Brody


Alex suggested our book this week, but, to be honest, I've been seeing it at my job for some time now and was always interested in it.  I'm glad she picked it and made me read it.

The book was actually very good, very imaginative, and very well paced.  As often happens in amnesia books, the exposition doesn't feel weird or out of place, because the main character is learning all of these things about themselves.

Sera (or Violet) is our main character and we realize from almost page one that she's is not quite like other kids (I mean, her eyes are purple, for goodness sake.)  And, as the book progresses, we learn more weird things about her.  Speaks multiple languages with ease, can run faster than any normal human should, can rip car doors off their hinges in a single push.

I won't give away too much, because I don't want to spoil the book, but you should know there is a big twist at the end and, for once, I didn't see it coming.

This was a good one and one that I think should be picked up.

Have you noticed that a lot of YA is about the big, scary organization experimenting on - or otherwise using for their own purposes which they claim to be for the good of everyone - young people? Yeah, me too. And you probably think I'm about to say that this is one of those books... but it's not. I mean, it is (that's a very vague description of its plot) but it doesn't feel like every other book like that.

Cassy and I were just saying last night that the Matched trilogy feels very "done," as in, I've seen this all before. This book does not feel "done" to me, although a few elements worried me when I first came across them ("oh no, this is going to be just like Maze Runner, Cinder, Matched, Twilight...") but none of them turned out to feel the same as the other books. Which is awesome.

So check this one out. It's fairly unique for YA fiction, it's compelling, and it's interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment