Thursday, March 12, 2015

RIP Terry Pratchett


It was just a moment ago announced via Terry Pratchett's Facebook page that he has passed away. I know this is completely off-topic for this week, but he is a great author that we haven't really addressed here on the blog, and I thought his passing merited a little attention (especially since I had not yet written my post for today).

He wrote the Discworld series, which is enormous and daunting and someday I'm going to spend a whole year reading it. (There are, as of right now, based on my understanding, 40 novels (with one that is intended to be published this summer/fall), plus a whirlwind of additional material, including short stories, maps, science books (explaining the way science works in the novels), diaries, etc. He also co-authored one of my favorite books with Neil Gaiman, Good Omens.

A little over 7 years ago, he was diagnosed with a rare form of early-onset Alzheimer's. He continued writing all this time, using a speech-recognition software and sometimes dictating to his assistant. His cause of death was complications from Alzheimer's.

He will be sorely missed, and even though we have almost the entire year of 2015 planned out on this blog, I'm going to find a place to put one of his books for us to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment