Saturday, May 18, 2013

By Its Cover: Blankets


From a first glance, it is clear that this book contains a love story of some kind. If you look closely at their faces, you would probably guess that it's a little sad.

What is not clear is the important element of religion. It plays a very large role in the story (and Thompson's life during the time being portrayed in this book) and it is nowhere to be seen on the cover.

Or... after you read the book, you may recall a scene where Craig, in Sunday school, is being asked what he thinks people will do in heaven. He says drawing, because he assumes you do what you love to do in heaven, and he loves to draw. The teacher says no, you spend all your time in heaven praising God, and Craig asks why he can't praise God by drawing. The teacher doesn't see how this is possible, and Craig suggests that it is by drawing His creation: the trees, animals, etc. So in this way, perhaps Thompson illustrated that part of the book in plain sight. Or maybe I'm overthinking it; I don't know.

At any rate, this cover caught my eye because of the monotone, and the minimalism, and the aesthetic. It's pretty and I wanted to know what the title meant. (Blankets show up several times in the story; I counted five, but there are probably more.)

I'm not really sure what I expected out of this book, based on it's cover.  A romance, definitely, which is what I got.  I expected them to be older, though.  The two characters, on the cover, don't look to be teenagers, so I was a little surprised when that was what they turned out to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment