Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Favorite Video Game Storyline

When video games first became huge, they were pretty basic, storyline-wise. A giant reptile kidnapped the princess; go save her. You're part of a pie-chart; avoid the ghosts and eat the fruit. A giant primate kidnapped the princess; go save her. You're a paperboy; deliver the paper. Play soccer. Play bowling. Play football. Play tennis. Stack the blocks and make lines of them disappear.

But with better technology came the ability to show more... everything. Actual dialogue can take place. Bigger, more detailed settings are possible. More complex over-arching storylines are actually doable.

Enough of my proselytizing... let's see which video game storylines are our favorites!


Despite having spent nearly 3 solid weeks of my life logged into WoW (seriously, the /played says 20 days, 7 hours, 34 minutes, and 2 seconds... but I'm writing this two weeks in advance) I can't choose WoW, because it has so much storyline. Several novels' worth, actually. And then some. A lot of some.

I haven't played Portal myself. I've watched my husband play it (and Portal 2) and no matter how hard he tried, I was exposed to spoilers, so I know the story, and I love it. I will not pass the spoilers on to you, but here's the jist:

Chell (the character you play) wakes up from stasis and is guided through tests by GLaDOS, a computer AI system. As Chell progresses, GLaDOS gets pretty sarcastic and sounds more... sinister. I can't really tell you much more than that, unfortunately. I can't even tell you to listen to the excellent songs from the credits of each game (but I'll link for those who don't care or already know: Still Alive and Want You Gone).


Call me predictable or a fan girl or whatever, but Final Fantasy X is my jam.  Now, you should know up front, video games aren't really my thing.  Don't get me wrong: I enjoy playing them, I like them, and I own more than a few, but at the end of the day, I get bored pretty easily (I think the last one I played all the way through was Lego Pirates of the Caribbean.)

But FFX was the first video game I ever bought with my own money.  It was the first game I ever played consistantly and, what's more, it's the first game I ever FINISHED.  Which is saying a lot, because the game isn't short.  It's a LONG freakin' game.  However, it was also a very snowy winter and my school basically shut down for the month of February.  So FFX it was.

Tidus comes from a different world and is dropped into his world in the future.  He doesn't know what's going on or where he is or why anything works the way that it does, but he meets great friends like Waaka and Yuna (the love interest), and LuLu, the girl who can kick your butt with fire.

I won't give any spoilers (if, for some reason, 12 years later you don't actually KNOW the spoiler), but it's sweet and complex and heartbreaking and pretty much just a wonderful story.

No comments:

Post a Comment