Friday, November 22, 2013

Review Me Twice: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins


You already heard a lot of what I have to say about this book on Wednesday, since it's my favorite of the trilogy. So I'll try to say a few new things.

All I can say about the first point is that Cinna is my favorite character in the whole trilogy. If you've read this book, you understand. If you haven't, I couldn't possibly say anymore, for your sake. Go read it, and we can talk about it.

I love the idea of the Quarter Quell, because it just isn't dystopian YA semi-sci-fi until things get as bad as they can get, and then get worse. I was genuinely shocked the first time I read the explanation of the Quell, and I ate it up.

The other victors are great. Mags? Finnick? Wiress and Beetee? Even Johanna? Are you even kidding me? No one book should have that many characters you FEEL that intensely for (except Harry Potter).

My favorite moment of the first movie is when Katniss and Peeta are in District 11, and she gives them (Rue?) that sad salute and they return it, and the old guy who rebels... It isn't exactly like in the book (partly because it's in this book, not the first) but both versions, film and print, are so moving and sad and beautiful and important.

And the CLOCK. The whole concept, the fact that Plutarch tries to warn her in his super-Capitol way (hey look at my neat watch), and the arena. Don't you just adore the arena? I can't get over it. I just can't.

I like reading this book when I want to cry at a book. So, you know... if you're prone to doing that and don't like it, you might not enjoy this book.

How do I love thee, Catching Fire, let me count the ways.


Ok, so for real, there is so much to love about this book.  I love Cinna because HOW DO YOU NOT?!  He did so much for Katniss and the uprising and he did it in such an underhanded, stealthy way!  

Like Alex, I think the arena is just amazing.  The idea behind it, how the characters interact with it, how it ultimately ends up being their salvation (or not, as the case may be.)  

I didn't cry during this one (I think I came close, but managed to keep my shit together), but that doesn't mean that it's not cry worthy.  Because it TOTALLY IS.

This is also the book where we meet most of my favorite characters.  I LOVE Finnick.  I mean, I can't even convey the amount of love that I feel for Finnick, and it only gets better in Mockingjay.  This is the book I realize how much I love Haymitch as a character, that everything he does, he does it for Katniss, does what's best for her.  And even the characters that are only around for this one book, pull at my heartstrings.

Basically, it's amazing, like the rest of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment