Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Book Smell

This week, we're reading the book Perfume: Story of a Murderer.  The book strongly focuses on the sense of smell.  Our main character has an over-developed sense of smell, to the point that he can smell things miles away.

Today I'm going to talk to you about book smells.  I don't know about you, dear reader, but I LOVE the smell of books.  In fact, one time when I was in class, I was sniffing the pages of my book and my professor saw me, stopped right in the middle of the lecture and asked, "are you sniffing the book?"

Indeed I was, because books smell wonderful.  Here is my favorite type of book smell:

New Book Smell


I love new book smell.  There's something about the pages being crisp and thick and it smells incredibly like paper.  I don't know what causes it, but it's magical.  I like to stick my nose deep in the pages of the book and take a deep sniff of it.  It may sound weird, but try it sometimes.  I think you'll be surprised on how pleasant it is.

Glossy Pages

Have you ever picked up a magazine and had the glossy page smell drift towards you?  Whether new or old, glossy pages have a very distinct smell, separate from those that don't hold a gloss.  Magazines frequently have this smell, so if you've never had the priviledge, pick one up and give it a sniff the next time you're in the supermarket.

Old Books Smell

There is something so unique about old book smell.  It's musty and, well, old.  It gives off a distinct smell that most people recognize in an instant.  It's the smell of bookstores and libraries.  So, what exactly causes this smell of age?  Well, I just happen to have a handy video for that...



If you're really jonesing for a book fix, and by some mystery you can't find one, or maybe you just want to smell like book because, really, let's face it, it's the most attractive smell in the world, there's something out there just for you.


Yes, my friends, there is book perfume out there.  It's about $100 a bottle, so you're definitely going to be shelling out for this particular scent.  But really, who wouldn't want to be constantly reminded of books?

No comments:

Post a Comment