Friday, November 28, 2014

Review Me Twice - Ready Player One by Ernest Cline



I actually loved this book.  I mean, just completely adored it.  The '80s and '90s pop culture references were awesome (not to mention the ultimate test of my nerdiness).  And there was just the right amount of explanation and back story without completely overwhelming me.

Which is saying a lot, because this story required a LOT of back story to really get what was going on.  But I loved it.  I loved Wade, our main character.  I loved watching him geek out over things and fall for a girl and figure his way out.

I loved that the whole book kind of imitated a game.  Wade and friends were the good guys and the Sixers were legitimate bad guys and you were rooting for the good guys the whole time!  And there were tests and trials and times that the good guys could have become the bad guys but they didn't!

It was just such a good book, and the fact that Wil Wheaton did the narration for the audio book that I was listening to, just made it that much cooler.

What a crazy book! I loved it. I read it instead of listening to it (I got the print version faster than I could get the audiobook).

If you don't know a single thing about the 1980s, I wouldn't recommend it. But I know more than I realized, so it was fun to see all the references. And there are a TON of them. I mean, I was drowning in '80s references.

I liked all of the characters. I had a theory about one of them from almost the moment we met them, and I was kind of upset that it was soooo obvious... but then I turned out to be wrong. So that was kind of fun, actually.

"Compelling." That's the word I would put down for my one-word jacket quote, if anyone were asking for it. I read the first few pages before I left for work on Wednesday, to entice myself to read the rest after I got home. It worked, because I got home, picked up the book, and didn't put it down until I was done with it. And it's not a particularly short book (372 pages).

No comments:

Post a Comment