Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Favorite LONG Novel

Since Gone With The Wind is such a long book (1037 pages), we decided to pick our favorite thick novel this week.


The Mists of Avalon is just shy of 900 pages long.  It's one of Bradley's longest, I would say (she tends not to make them quite this epic) and probably one of her most well known and best loved series.

And there's a reason for that.  Because the book is wonderfully written.  I will give that Arthurian novels are about a dime a dozen.  But Bradley's is just on an entirely different level than the others I've read.  And combining the myths behind Avalon with the myths behind Arthur I think was the best way to take the story.  The characters were interesting and the story line compelling.

You have to love high fantasy to enjoy this book, I will give you that.  It's definitely a niche kind of read, but as long as you're ok with that, then this is definitely a book to read.  This is the time of year when everyone has some time off, so if you're looking for a good thick book, this is a great one to pick up.


My choice is kind of a cheat, since it's technically five novels in one book, but The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reads like one long book, so I say it's fair game.

There isn't much for me to say about it that I haven't already said before, so let's just say I'm a fan, and this compiled version is the reason I can't remember which scenes belong in which book. (Kind of like how I only ever watch Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies all in a row, so I can't remember which scenes belong in which movie.)

No comments:

Post a Comment