Thursday, December 18, 2014

The "To Read" Pile

You know you have one. You either love it or you hate it. But you have it. Let's talk "to read" piles.


This week's review book was on my figurative "to read" pile for a long time, because it's a really long book. I picked it up, read some, put it back on the pile, etc.

I say "figurative" pile because my "to read" pile doesn't live in just one place, and it's rarely an actual pile. My "to read" books usually take up space in my car, by the bed, by the couch, in my office, and in my purse. And I never used to have so many places for them until we started this blog. I was always really good at reading one book at a time (two if I had one for school and one for fun). But I also don't often read things that take me more than one or two sittings to finish... I'm not good at coming back to a book I've put down.

But now I usually have between half a dozen and a dozen books checked out of the library at any given point, because when I see that something is available, I check it out if we're going to review it in the next 2-3 months. (This backfired on me last week, since I checked out Carsick ages ago, then I had to return it because it was due and had holds on it, and couldn't get it back until the day before we had to review it.)

So what is your "to read" pile like? How big is it? Where do you keep it? What's usually in it? Does anything sit in your pile in perpetuity? Do you aspire to read your pile down to zero, or do you like having a pile there?

No comments:

Post a Comment