Tuesday, December 16, 2014

I Like Big Books and I Can Not Lie

So this week we're reading Gone With The Wind, which, if you've never seen a copy, is a pretty hefty book.  I know a lot of people who have looked at large, intimidating books and thought, "no way!" but I'm going to give you a list of some of my favorite large books.

Earth's Children by Jean Auel

While the first one isn't especially long, the series quickly picks up and by book three, each one is a beast.  But each one has a spectacular story line, a ridiculous amount of research and always keeps me incredibly interested.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Probably one of the shortest books on this list, it's still pretty hefty (especially if it's part of an anthology of her books.)  But the poetry of the language and the romance of the characters gets me every time and makes me come back to this book about once a year.

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin

This book is pretty recent to popularity (mainly because of the television show) and each book ranges from 700 - 1200 pages.  But the characters are engaging, the plot incredibly tangled and wonderful and you can't help but get lost in the imagery.  It's really a book that you don't even notice that it's almost 1000 pages long.

What book do you love that's really long, but you have read it over and over?

No comments:

Post a Comment