Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Favorite Sequels

To kick off our month of sequels properly, we're picking our favorite sequels!

You guys well know that I love Catching Fire and that it's my favorite of the Hunger Games books, so it would be the obvious choice for me here. And you also know that Cassy and I both picked not-the-first-one as our favorite Harry Potter books, so we clearly like those sequels. So instead, I'm going to tell you that I really like all of the sequels in the Uglies series.


I think Specials is probably my favorite of them all, but Extras is really incredible too. They're good in different ways, so it's hard to choose. I'm fairly certain that it's very difficult to make a series get much better as it progress, and I believe that's what Scott Westerfeld did with the Uglies series.

I've talked about the Percy Jackson series a lot on this blog lately, which is good, because everyone just really needs to go read it.

And there were a lot of runner ups for this particular favorites today.  Like Alex mentioned, I LOVED Extras (which is interesting because it was 100% a tack on for him.  Completely unplanned when he originally planned to do the series.)  I also really love book seven in the Chronicles of Narnia series (The Last Battle).  You get to revisit all the people that you love and adore in it.  There's just something about the way Lewis brings it all together.


But book four in the Percy Jackson series, The Battle of the Labyrinth, just is amazing.  There is a quest that has been going on for three previous books that finally comes to a conclusion in book four.  And it's wonderful and heartbreaking all at the same time.  Grover gets a TON of face time in this book.  In fact, I would argue that this book is almost more about him than it is about Percy, which is nice that we get a little break from Percy to be reminded that there are other characters in the book, other heroes.

It's the book that really brings the series together, I think.  Sure, everything culminates in book five and the Big Battle happens in book five, but I think book four is what really sets that up and gives you a lot of answers to questions you'd been asking for the whole series.

No comments:

Post a Comment