Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Favorite Poems

We're keeping in line with all the CRAZY poetry going on this week by telling you our favorite poems.  And while I was going to put this poem, by Hopkins, I felt that maybe that was just a little too much Hopkins in one week.

That kind of put me at a loss though, because I'm not a poetry fan.  Like, at all.  I mean, I REALLY dislike poetry.  I dislike reading it, writing it, listening to it.  I think there are way too many people who write poems that become greats and I think they're dumb (the poems, not the people.  Though, respectively, I guess the people could be dumb too).  I think everyone thinks Wordsworth is awesome... I just think he's long-winded and overly excited about nature.

So what's a girl to do?  Why, tell you about a hilarious haiku, obviously.  So here it is, my favorite poem:

Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Awesome, isn't it?  I don't think it has an official "author", but you can buy it on a t-shirt.

(And I have that t-shirt!)

I don't hate poetry, like Cassy. In fact, I quite like it. That's why I've been telling you about it all month on Thursdays!

I think the first time I admitted that I liked a poem was when I read "The Raven," by Edgar Allan Poe. I like the rhyme. I like the meter. I like the subject matter. I like the word choices, the alliteration, the assonance... it's a beautifully crafted poem, and I like it.


I read more of Poe and discovered that I also liked "The Casque of Amontillado," and "The Tell-Tale Heart," and I liked his short stories too, particularly "Hop-Frog."

But "The Raven" is still the poem I think of when asked to choose a favorite poem. It sounds like a cop-out answer, because it's one of the few poems people can remember from high school, but I love it, unabashedly.

1 comment:

  1. I also like "The Raven" but I think my favorite poem would be between "The Road Less Traveled" by Robert Frost (I am a huge fan of his. I have a whole book by him) and "The Lady of Shalott" by Tennyson.

    ReplyDelete