Friday, April 19, 2013

Review Me Twice - Cinder by Marissa Meyer


So, here's a secret that you may or may not have known:  I LOVE fairy tales   I love what they were supposed to be, how they came about, their history, their transition into children's literature and I love retellings of them.  I love to see how people re-purpose the tales to fit their own imaginations (because, really, that's kind of the POINT of fairy tales: to be bent to fit your specific needs, but still conveying the same general message.)

Meyer has taken a fun, interesting and exciting new twist on the Cinderella fairy tale   Cinderella as a cyborg? Yes, please.  Taking place in the future (but not too distant future)?  I'm totally all for that.  Meyer is an excellent writer.  I think her pacing is one of the best I've seen in awhile.  She knows just when to drop you information, just when to hold it back and just when to drop it all and run with it.

The characters were interesting and fleshed out.  The world she created was also great for what she needed. She managed to make it like our world, but not, which allows the reader to be engulfed in it easily, without a lot of confusion about what's going on.

I like that Cinder is a little tomboyish.  She's not the dainty girl that needs to be saved by the handsome prince.  She's her own, independent girl, who's going to do what she's going to do.

My only, ONLY, hang-up with this book, is that it's extremely predictable.  There's some major stuff that you figure out pretty early on.  And it's stuff that you're not necessarily supposed to figure out.

I can't wait to read the next book in the series.  It's going to be fabulous.

My Bottom Line 5 Out of 5

I loved this book. I like the characters, I like the plot, I like the implications for the future books, I like the setting, I like the science, I like everything.

Usually, Cassy is the one to say that something was really obvious the whole time; I don't always pick up on things like overly heavy foreshadowing, because I'm not looking for it. (In fact, I might actually block it out on purpose; I don't like figuring out the big twists and surprises before I get to them, so I don't try to guess.) But the Big Twist in this one is not much of a twist, because it really is very obvious.

And I've been thinking about that for a while now. Sometimes, I think the author doesn't intend for the Big Twist to be a Big Twist... at least, not for you, the reader. I think sometimes, you're supposed to know about it and the character is the one who is supposed to be surprised. It's like the author has given you a little gift of knowledge that is unknown to the main character. I think this happens when the character's reaction to something is more important than the information itself, which is a case I think can be made for Cinder.

At any rate, I will definitely be reading the sequel and eagerly anticipating the other two books.

No comments:

Post a Comment