Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Favorite Zombie Story


It was hard for me to pick a favorite zombie story to talk about, because my real favorite is the book we're reviewing this week, World War Z by Max Brooks. The next one I thought of was I Am Legend by Richard Matheson, and yes, I know it's more of a vampire book (but it heavily influenced the zombie genre). So then I thought of Boneshaker by Cherie Priest, but you've already heard us both weigh in on that one.

So that leaves me with a book I haven't actually finished reading: Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion. I saw the movie before I knew it was a book, and when I found out it was a book, I jumped into the library's holds queue for it. A few months later, when it finally got around to me, I didn't have time to read it all before it was due back.

But I love the writing, I love the characters, I love the story. I love that there are "levels" of zombies. And I really love that "zombie romance" is now a genre. But the thing I love most is that he's releasing a prequel called The New Hunger (and look, you can buy it here!)

In terms of zombie books, mine is actually TECHNICALLY a vampire book... but not really.



Do not let the cover fool you: This book is not about sex (at least, it won't be for another 8 books or so, but that's another matter.)  And don't like the title "Vampire Hunter" fool you either.  Yes, she is a vampire hunter.  But you know what Anita Blake is, first a foremost?  A zombie raiser.

That's right, Anita Blake raises zombies for a living.  Why, you might ask?  Because why get a judge to interpret a will when you can just raise the dead and ask them?  Vampires, zombies, lycanthropes are all known about and (generally) accepted things in this world.

As the series goes on, it gets crappy towards the latter half, but the first... oh six books or so, are great.  Probably the best zombie book of the bunch is The Laughing Corpse.



Anita is offered a lot of money to raise a really old zombie.  When someone else does it, they lose control of it, and we have a bonafide flesh eating Zombie.  

The series is good and Hamilton does a great job of creating great characters.  Just don't read past Obsidian Butterfly (#9), you'll be severely disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. As I said before, I do not like Zombies, so I do not have a favorite zombie book. However, I really liked the show Pushing Daisies, which I guess could be considered zombie-ish. The main character has the ability to touch a dead person or animal and it will remain alive as long as he doesn't touch it again. He uses it to solve murders, but runs into trouble when he resurrects a girl he has a huge crush on, only to be tortured by the fact that he can't ever get physical with her. Not to mention the fact that she doesn't know she's technically dead. It was a great show. Prematurely canceled of course.

    ReplyDelete