Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Favorite Animal Books

What's your favorite book about animals, featuring animals, or generally dealing with animals in some way? Here are ours:



I got The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog! by Mo Willems in college, after being read Knuffle Bunny in one of my favorite classes (children's literature, of course). My roommate Audrey does an exceptional read of this book, with just the right voices for the titular pigeon and that little duckling on the right side of the cover. Most people love Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! but I prefer this one.

If you've never read a book by Mo Willems, I urge you to pick one at random and read it immediately. Your life will be improved.



I LOVE Life of Pi.  Pi gets stuck on a lifeboat with a Tiger, a orangutan, a zebra and a Hyena.  Inevitably it ends up being just Pi and the Bengal Tiger on a lifeboat for almost 300 days.


The book, while it has a lot of animals in it, isn't actually about animals.  It's about Pi and choosing his religion and deciding what is true and what isn't.  The animals are supposed to be representative of the religions that Pi has been trying to decide between.


I've mentioned a few times on this blog that I just love books that explore religion and Life of Pi is a book that really puts the idea forth: why do I have to choose one religion?  One of my favorite quotes comes from Life of Pi.  Everyone is telling him he has to choose a religion and Pi asks them why.  He tells them that he "just wants to love God."

No comments:

Post a Comment