Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Some of the Best Time Travel

You should be warned now:  I'm 26 days out from my wedding, so probably a lot of my posts are going to be like today's.  Fun, easy, lists.

That being said, our favorites this week have nothing to do with time travel, and I know we both have favorite time travel books, so I'm just going to list a few of the best right here.


The Time Traveler's Wife

This story is so wonderful and heartbreaking and, despite the fact that time travel is a fantastical thing, it wasn't a fantastical book.  Niffenegger makes it seem like anyone could be a time traveler, could pop in and out of your life just like that.  Henry and Clare's love and their story is just so incredible, you can't help but love this book.


The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Ok, so the first one isn't really about time travel, but the subsequent stories are.  The third book has the most, where they travel back in time to help with a war, though that wasn't their original intent.  The whole "Trilogy" (it has six books) is fun and sarcastic and very dry humor.  It's a great series, and pretty much loved by Alex.


Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

This book was recently thrown onto my radar, and my little sister actually gave it to me.  It's a fun story about a kid who grew up listening to stories about fantastical children who could do things like fly and life thousands of pounds with one hand.  His grandfather even showed him pictures.  Despite eventually disbelieving these things, our main character ends up stepping through a portal and FINDING these children.  It's a fun mix of time travel, real life, and fantasy with some old fashioned photos thrown in.


Kindred

I read this book in a class about Octavia Butler.  That's pretty much where I learned to love her.  Kindred was the first I read, about a woman who was constantly sent back in time, to try and make sure that everything went smoothly and she was, well, born.  It's an amazing story about life and family and slavery.  Definitely something I would recommend.

What are some of your favorite time travel books?

No comments:

Post a Comment