Friday, May 30, 2014

Review Me Twice - Boomsday by Christopher Buckley



This book was very obviously something that Buckley thinks is a big problem.  And, I mean, it is, because let's face it, Social Security is a joke and won't last very long once all our parents decide to retire.  And, to his credit, the book does take a humorous approach to it.  Just off yourself by age 70 and look at all the tax breaks your kids will get!  The Government will even cough up money for a final vacation.

But... it was a very political book.  That doesn't mean I didn't like it.  I thought it was well written, with interesting characters and people that you just love to hate.  I like how ridiculous and over the top the whole situation was, and Randy, senator from Massachusetts was pretty funny too, especially when he was interacting with Cass.  But if politics isn't your thing (which, for me it's not), then this probably isn't going to be the book for you.

It was a well written book and kept me fairly engaged, but it's not something I'd probably read again.

Didn't finish this one. Mostly because I kept accidentally leaving it in my office at work instead of bringing it home to read. But I didn't much enjoy it, so that's probably why... my brain knew I'd rather clean the kitchen or play Hearthstone, so it made me forget the book.

Cassy hit the nail on the head with this one... it's quite a political book, which I don't mind in the least, but I don't know... Social Security is just not the hot-button issue for me that it must be for Christopher Buckley. He's really into talking about it and I just... don't care. I know I probably should, but I don't. I have other political interests.

So I guess if that's the sort of thing you want to think about and read about and get really impassioned about, this might be the book for you. It wasn't bad, outside of the topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment