Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Favorite Picture Book

We've reviewed quite a number of picture books on this blog, but we've never gotten around to telling you about our favorites.


Fancy Nancy is a character that I have just recently come in contact with.  When I work in the Children's department at my job, she's on display a lot and she distracts me with her covers that are covered in glitter.

Nancy is a great character because she learns without being dictated to or preached at by adults.  She comes to conclusions on her own.  And she is WILDLY independant.  Sure she dresses up all girly and flashes, but you know why?  Because she WANTS to, because it's what she likes, not because anyone has told her that that's what girls do.

In Fancy Nancy and the Wedding of the Century, Nancy goes to her uncle's wedding.  She dreams about this big fancy, traditional wedding.  When she wakes up, she realizes it's a quiet, intimate, non-traditional wedding.  Nancy comes to learn (all on her own) that that's ok too!  The wedding is just as much fun as she thought it would be.


I mentioned this book last summer when I gave you guys a list of my favorite children's books. So I won't go into too much detail. But Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf by Lois Ehlert is so pretty. It has a distinct collage style of illustration. There are beautiful colors, because we're discussing a tree as it deals with seasonal changes. And the story - though it isn't really a narrative - is very simple, which I like when paired with such an aesthetically pleasing book. It's for the younger division of picture book readers, but I enjoyed it for years past the "appropriate" age group.

No comments:

Post a Comment