Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Judging a Book by its Author

We've all done it.  We've picked up a book with and interesting looking cover and read the inside... only to realize that it's by an author that we hate.

Everyone says not to judge a book by its cover (which is really dumb because the cover is the reason I get interested to begin with and I have read more than a few good books that interested me with nothing more than a fabulous cover), but what about judging a book by its author?


I will give you full disclosure that my post today was inspired by this article.  I do not like Limbaugh in the slightest, and I will never read his books.  Mainly because I refuse to support him in any way, but also because I don't like HIM, chances are I won't like his books either.

I'm the same way about Bill O'Riley (though, I will admit, by displeasure for him is far less than what it is for Limbaugh.)  He has what I call the Killing books out (Killing Kennedy, Killing Lincoln and Killing Jesus.)  I can reasonably say that I will never pick any of these books up.

But it also works the other way for me.  It's no secret that I love Scott Westerfeld and Ellen Hopkins, to the point that I'm even a little blinded to their not as good works.  I rave that everything they write is the best and I will always pick up new books by them.  In fact, I usually buy new books by them.  So the author bias goes both ways.

I don't know if Alex has any authors on her Do Not Read list, but I can bet that if you mention that you dislike anything by Neil Gaiman, she just might cut a bitch. ;)

So how about it, readers?  What author biases do you have?

No comments:

Post a Comment