Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Favorite Classics

Brave New World

It was hard for me to define what qualifies as a "classic" when it comes to literature. So I decided not to worry about it too much, and I chose Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

I've talked about it before, so I'll keep it short and sweet. Great science-fiction is believable, and Brave New World definitely is, while still being different and unusual enough to be fascinating. Great books are quotable, and you wouldn't believe how often I say "I'm so glad I'm a Beta."

I was really torn between two books for this post, but, if I'm really honest with myself, there is only one true winner in my heart.


This should be zero surprise to anyone, and the fact that Pride & Prejudice was my runner up should also be of no surprise to anyone.  But Dangerous Liaisons is one I just love so much.  There's intrigue!  Deceit!  Manipulation!  Sex!  Alright, maybe that last one isn't a reason that I read it, but the book is just so well done and everyone is just so TERRIBLE to each other.  I mean, I think everyone, at some point, does something to get back at someone else in this book.

It's great.

So it wins for favorite classic,

But, Pride & Prejudice wins for favorite QUOTE from a classic, so I guess it's got that going for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment