Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Least Favorite Romance Novel




While there are a couple of books that stand out pretty prevantly in my mind (I'm looking at you, Twilight), Fifty Shades of Gray is probably my 100% all time lease favorite romance book of all time (and yes, I have read the first one.)

As much as i hate Twilight, it IS a teenager book and it fits that category well.  It's not well written, but it doesn't nececerily have to be.  It just has to keep teens interested and reading, which it does do that.  It also introduces that kid to the world of reading.

I hate fifty shades because it's a book that disguises itself as a love story but is actually a story about abuse.  The authors knows nothing about the basics for BSDM. She wrote what she thought happened in the BDSM culture, but she was so wrong.  Instead, Gray is controlling and psychotic and controls every aspect of her life and then expects her to change it when it doesn't meet his expectation.

The worst part about the whole thing is that women READ that and think it's and accurate portrayal.  They think that the BDSM culture works that way, that because they're a different type of relationship, they're love less and conotrolling and abusive, but that's just not the case.

Can I just pick the whole genre? No, I'm sure there are good ones out there. I just kind of hoped that this solid month of reading romance would help me like the genre more, not solidify my distaste for it. I'm just not a romantic person. So even though it feels sort of like cheating, I'm going to go with "every book in the romance genre I've been exposed to so far" as my least favorite romance book. Although Cassy makes some good points about Fifty Shades.

No comments:

Post a Comment