Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Favorite Pulitzer Prize Winning Book

As you know from yesterday, this week's review book won the Pulitzer Prize this year. So we are picking our favorite books that have won Pulitzer Prizes!



A Confederacy of Dunces won the Pulitzer in 1981, which means the author - John Kennedy Toole - won it posthumously, since he died in 1969.

You know how most readers have that one book that they recommend to everybody? Mine, for example, is The Martian Chronicles. My father-in-law will tell you to read A Confederacy of Dunces. I'm pretty sure it came up the first time I had dinner at their house nearly 12 years ago. It took me several years, but I did finally take his suggestion and read it.

Honestly, I don't remember much of the plot or characters or, you know, the book. I do remember that I enjoyed it. It's funny. The title comes from a Jonathan Swift quote: "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."



We already know that books aren't the only thing to read, and as such, they're not the only thing that can win Pulitzer Prizes.  Proof is probably one of my favorite plays ever.  If ever a book/play were deserving of a Pulitzer, Proof would be it.

The play really addresses if mental illness is hereditary or not, if it incites genius or prevents it.  I like how it really gives to the idea that genius is on the brink of crazy and vise versa.  It's got a A Beautiful Mind kind of feel to it in that way.

I definitely suggest the play over the movie, because the movie butchers one of my most favorite scenes.  Her dad thinks he's gotten his genius back, only to discover, when his daughter reads his work back to him, that he's written a bunch of gibberish.

It's amazing and moving and powerful and I just love the play to pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment