Friday, October 3, 2014

Review Me Twice: On the Day You Were Born by Debra Frasier


What an odd book. I didn't really know what to expect from it, to be honest with you. I knew it was for kids (it's a picture book) and I knew I had seen in reviews that it talked about science topics like the solar system and wild animals.

It has a really hippie-ish vibe to me. It's the only way I can think to describe it, really. Frasier uses the term "Mother Earth" a couple times (including on the dedication page). I love that it's all related to the concept of unity and responsibility for the earth, but I'm not sure I love the vehicle for that message.

When you look at a children's book and want to consider literary value, you aren't supposed to approach it with the attitude of "if I were a kid, would I enjoy it?" Because unless you read it as a kid, you don't know (and even if you did, you wouldn't remember it 100% honestly, because you're a different person now than when you were learning to read picture books). But... I don't think I would have liked this book as a kid. I would have liked the few pages at the end of the book that go into detail about the science mentioned in the book (I had a book about the Titanic that had a similar section, and I never read the story; just the historical notes at the back).

The book was very much, "look how small you are in this big world but no less important."  But in a really weird, roundabout, not really to the point at all kind of way.

The colors were really pretty, so if you were reading it to a younger kid they would probably really appreciate the pictures in it it.  But I think if you get much past the age of 5 for this book, it's not really going to be that appealing to its audience.

Over all, the book wasn't that impressive and not something I'd probably ever get for anyone's kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment